There was an interesting talk at JavaOne (yes I'm ashamed I went) that talked
about this.  The proposed idea was to catalog your services in a UDDI registry.
Use dynamic binding to query to UDDI registry for endpoints.  Then, as part of
a self-imposed standard, define String getVersion() for each port.

A client can float a query to UDDI saying "tell me the endpoints for this
interface".  UDDI will return N results.  As a client you can then call to
each of the N results and invoke getVersion().  Of the N, M will be a version
your client knows how to interact with.  Invoke the first endpoint in M.  If
it fails, invoke the next.  And so on and so forth...

Not a bad idea...

-c

--
 17:35:00  up 1 day,  7:05, 11 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.13, 0.10