Hi!

You're right - the figures show very well why there are different orders
on the client and the server for system-specific, global and transport-
specific chains. But that wasn't the question :-)

The question was about what's not explained in the figures: why are the
JAX-RPC handlers invoked between global and transport-specific chains
on the client, while they are called between global and system-specific
chain on the server.

Regards,
Thilo

Christoph Tratter wrote:

Hi Thilo!

In the Axis Architecture Guide (http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/architecture-guide.html) the behaviour you describe is explained to be intended.
(Beside points 3 and 7, which are not explained).
Imho the figures show very well, why there's a different order of chains on server and client side.

cheers,
Christoph

Thilo Frotscher wrote:

Hi!

Browsing the source code of Axis 1.2 alpha I found out, that the order in
which handlers are called on the client side is as follows:

1) Service Specific Request Chain
2) Global Request Chain
3) JAX-RPC Handlers
4) Transport Specific Request Chain
5) Send SOAP message to service
6) Transport Specific Response Chain
7) JAX-RPC Handlers
8) Global Response Chain
9) Service specific Response Chain

Question: why are JAX-RPC handlers called between global chain and
transport specific chain? Shouldn't they be called between service
specific chain and global chain? After all, the JAX-RPC-handler chain
is service specific and therefore configures inside a service
configuration.

On the server side, the order is like I would have expected it:

1) Transport Specific Request Chain
2) Global Request Chain
3) JAX-RPC Handlers
4) Service Specific Request Chain