From: Sean Cohan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 09 March 2004 03:20
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SOAP message size limitation

 We are analyzing current application functionality and identifying which
functionality could be exposed as web services. Some of the data that would
need to be embedded into the soap body part (or added as an attachment)
could be quite large.

How large of a SOAP message can you send before it doesn't make sense to
send the data in a SOAP message?

In other words, what is the upper size limit for a SOAP message?

What sizes do you start seeing performance problems?

If we have messages that exceed this threshold, what are good work arounds?
Breaking the messages up into blocks and sending multiple blocks? Yuck.
ftp'ing compressed files? Yuck.

Yes we will have to encrypt, probably using XML enryption. We will be using
WLS 8.1+, J2EE, Solaris, Oracle.

Thanks.