Hi all,

I have been using exclusively AXIS' WSDL2Java for data binding.  I recently came upon the article "Create Web service using Apache Axis and Castor" (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-castor/) which talked about decoupling the data binding process from the Web services capabilities of the AXIS framework.  I know the main advantage of using something like Castor is the added XML Validation process.  But let's say if I'm not interested in XML Validation - is there then any added value to using the Java objects created by Castor?  Does anyone here have any idea on the impact on performance from integrating AXIS with Castor with and/or without XML Validation?  How does it stack up with straight binding with WSDL2Java?

Within the same article, it also claimed the following:

"The interface to serialization to and from strings is not intuitive. If you are using WSDL2Java's data binding code for your XML objects, chances are, you'll need to encode or decode the objects back to an XML string at some point. While this is possible with WSDL2Java's generated objects, it's not an easy task. A large framework has to be set up, and it can cause a lot of headaches, for what seems to be a simple task."

How valid is that assertion?

I'd appreciate any insights or help. Thanks a lot!

- Wei