I'm aware of MTOM, and I like the idea of being able to include items within the infoset when appropriate. I think it'll be a mistake if all attachments are forced into this model, though. Besides, by the time it's actually agreed on Microsoft is likely to have another proposal that has become their new preferred approach (as with SwA, then DIME, now MTOM).

As for Microsoft not supporting SwA, I agree that non-support of a particular feature doesn't break WS-I compatibility when multiple alternatives are allowed (we've discussed this on the jax-rpc list from similar points of view). If that feature is the only alternative allowed by a profile, though, it becomes meaningless to say you're compliant (new headline: "Microsoft Word 95 Now WS-I BP 1.0a Compliant").

If Microsoft doesn't support the WS-I Attachments Profile it's going to make a joke of the whole WS-I process, and by extension of the whole idea of interoperable web services. The WS-I should just kill the profile if they don't have a committment from Microsoft to support it.

- Dennis

Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

I do believe it's possible that Microsoft may choose to not support SwA. They don't support RPC/Literal either. Technically, non-support of a feature defined in WS-I doesn't break "compatibility". WS-I doesn't test for compatibility of tools, only compatibility of clients and services.

MTOM is based on an idea created by Don Box. It really is a much better way of dealing with binary data.

MTOM is the emerging W3C standard model for passing binary data with SOAP messages. Notice that I don't call it an "attachment model" -- that's because MTOM doesn't use attachments. In MTOM, the binary data is included in the SOAP infoset -- although on the wire the binary data is actually sent using MIME multipart/related.

See http://www.burtongroup.com/weblogs/annethomasmanes/archives/2004/03/000184.html for more information.

Anne