>I want to implement a service that authenticates the caller (using a
>certificate in the message).  If the user is not authorized to invoke
>the service, I want *no response* sent at all.  No return value, no
>exception, nothing.  Is this possible?

I agree with Anne, this is a somewhat unnatural thing to want to do.
The simple thing would be to simply return a SOAP Fault: the caller
would get a 500 error back with some basic data in the body.

If you really want to send back *nothing*, you may get somewhere by
grabbing the underlying HttpServletRequest from the Axis
MessageContext and forcibly calling close() on it. It will probably
make the rest of Axis unhappy, but it may work.

Another option is to do something in your servlet engine that Axis is
living inside of.