I am using Axis inside WebSphere 5.1 with a custom application, I
deployed as an .ear file.  You do not need to do anything special to get
it working.

The only thing I can think that you might want to check is your web.xml
file.  Have you mapped the axis servlet correctly?  Something like:
        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
                <display-name>Apache-Axis Servlet</display-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet</servlet-class

        </servlet>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>AxisServlet</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>/services/*</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>

It has been a while since I ran any of the test code, sorry if it
doesn't help.

HTH,
Tim