I fixed it !

Here's the start.sh script I use to launch JBoss + Axis

#!/bin/sh
JAVA_HOME=/opt/java
export JAVA_HOME

JBOSS=/home/stef/Projects/server/jboss-4.0.0

# This is like the fix described in
# http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-1530
JBOSS_CLASSPATH=${JBOSS}/server/standard/lib/javax.servlet.jar
export JBOSS_CLASSPATH

# -c standard for Axis to work, check the axis-user mailing list
# on 27/9/2004 for that
bin/run.sh -c standard

Thank you to Matthew and Francisco for their help !

(please rememeber I'm newbie and that this fix might not be a "nice" one...)

Stefan