I'm versioning back to Axis 1.1 and I've installed it in the usual manner under
tomcat 5.5. The happy axis page shows that Axis is happy. Axis correctly
generates WSDL for all deployed services. However, an attempt to run any
service, even something simple like the bundled getVersion service, returns a
NullPointerException as a fault. No additional information or stack trace is
seen in the log. The only other clue is that Axis doesn't seem to be able to
auto-generate the server-config.wsdd. It seems able to read one if you put it
in the right place.

This is the first time I've tried Axis 1.1 in Tomcat 5.5. Axis 1.2 does not
display this behavior and Axis 1.1 under Tomcat 4 does not display this
behavior. I can't version back up to Axis 1.2 because of the way it handles
soap encoding with .NET clients.

Please help, -- Andy