On December 5, 2004 04:23 pm, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Sunday 05 December 2004 22:11, Lyndon Tiu wrote:
> > On December 5, 2004 12:50 pm, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> > > Does this result in sensible XML being transferred over the net? By
> > > that I mostly mean XML that's not just usable between the two
> > > applications you can control, but that makes interoperability
> > > possible. If not, you might get cleaner results with custom
> > > de/serializers.
> >
> > In our case, we control both ends of the wire so our "object to array
> > to object" code is a mirror - what one does the other undoes.
>
> Obviously I don't know your situation, but I'm curious why you are using
> SOAP at all. If you control both ends of the communications channel --
> and assuming that both are written in Java -- why not just use RMI?

Yes! Why bother with SOAP!

That's the question I ask myself but unfortunately, the marketing department
wants it for the "wow" factor. Web services is hot so everyone is into it,
doesn't matter if the technology is appropriate. What the client wants the
client gets, in this case.

Kinda like what Java was back in the mid-90's when everyone jumped into it and
started writing spreadsheets with Java Applets : >

> > But I also read that axis's complex data types are not compatible
> > with .Net and the only sure way for interoperability are simple
> > String arrays.
>
> I don't want to suggest that you're doing anything wrong, I'm still very
> much of a web services newbie. Still (or because of that), I don't see
> why there has to be a problem. My understanding is that one of the keys
> to interoperability is to start out with a WSDL definition of the
> offered service. From there, get the servlet engine to produce
> conforming XML on the wire. If Axis, in this case, doesn't do it
> correctly all by itself, then give it a hand with custom serializers
> and deserializers. In terms of architecture, this nicely keeps code
> that deals with data formats localized.

I find I have to hand-code wsdl's to make .Net talk to Axis.

> In my own case, I've used this approach to serialize a JDBC ResultSet
> into exactly the kind of XML I want. On the client I deserialize it to
> my own domain objects with the help of a Commons Digester. (Regarding
> my above admonitions on using RMI, this was for a proof of concept
> only.) It works nicely.

OK. Thank you. Will keep that in mind.

--
Lyndon Tiu