Hi Kalle,

A web service doesn't always need state in order to interact with a legacy
program. The state can be stored in the legacy program, rather than the
actual web service. Web services also often use databases to store state
that must persist across multiple requests.

You may be interested in the WSRF Specifications:

    http://www.globus.org/wsrf/

Here is their "Motivation" text:

---
Web services must often provide their users with the ability to access and
manipulate state, i.e., data values that persist across, and evolve as a
result of, Web service interactions. And while Web services successfully
implement applications that manage state today, we need to define
conventions for managing state so that applications discover, inspect, and
interact with stateful resources in standard and interoperable ways. The
WS-Resource Framework defines these conventions and does so within the
context of established Web services standards.
---

Cheers,
Tom