I've gotten faults to display in the SOAPMonitor using the sample in
$AXIS_HOME/samples/faults by doing nothing different.  Just add in the
<requestFlow> and <responseFlow> tags to the service's deploy.wsdd
file and redeploy the service.  The service name Employee.  I don't
know what the behavior is supposed to be for this service, but it
looks like it will always throw a fault no matter if adding an
employee id using the services addEmployee method.  The url I'm using
to add an ID is:

http://localhost:8080/axis/services/Employee?method=addEmployee&in=XXX

that shows this response in the SOAPMonitor:

<soapenv:Envelope
xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";>
<soapenv:Body>
  <addEmployeeResponse
soapenv:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"/>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

and to get employee:

http://localhost:8080/axis/services/Employee?method=getEmployee&id=XXX

the last link gives me this output:

<soapenv:Envelope>
        <soapenv:Body>
        <soapenv:Fault>
<faultstring>samples.faults.NoSuchEmployeeFault</faultstring>
        <detail>
<ns1:hostname>vjong-lnx-corp.corp.google.com</ns1:hostname>
</detail>
</soapenv:Fault>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

and the SOAPMonitor shows the request, but doesn't show the response.

If this isn't the Axis Faults you're speaking of, my apologies.