In your web.xml you give access to URLs by role...
<security-constraint>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Authentication</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>authuser</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
        </security-constraint>

Then you define the connection between usernames and roles in the
database according the docs link I included earlier.

In your Axis client, you call setUsername and setPassword on the class
implementing the client stub.