On the server side, using the standard J2EE authentication scheme, you just
set up a trust certificate store, with the accepted client certificates, and
configure your web application to use it for authentication. I did it with
Tomcat (alone) or Tomcat+Jonas without any problem for simple web
applications, not for web services. In a plain web service server
implementation, i don't know how you can retrieve the client subject. I had
always plan to use EJB endpoint web services to let the application server
forward me the user's identity by the EJB context, using HTTP or certificate
authentication scheme.

I don't know how do it on the client side, since you must first activate SSL
client authentication (changing the socket factory to use SSL and providing
a defined certificate), and tell the web service client to use this
transport. I suppose you should look first for help about simple SSL web
service client, and then extend the solution to activate mutual
authentication and provide the client certifcate. I'll also be waitaing for
an idea for such a solution.