Schematron is an XSLT based schema language that's intended purely for validation, it would be ideal to do server-side checks without reinventing the wheel, plus the XML geeks I respect (e.g. SStL, Uche) like it too. IMHO XForms reinvents the wheel because it's intended to be client-side, but I don't think XForms is really going to fly on the client side (I mean, even XHTML is kind of going nowhere).

simon