Kip's reply has helped me get the document_root, but I've just realised
that what I need is to retrieve the URL of a document which I've just
created, as seen by the client.

For example, I'm using a test machine here in our office, and so the URL
at which I'm pointing my browser is:
http://pi-080/AxKit/xsp/map_title.xsp?id=269&server=indy&service=31501&d
base=ayrdm_2000&groupid=229&userid=30115&params=0:0:0:1:1:V:O:100

In my taglib, I need to generate a file, and be able to refer to them in
the final HTML page as, for example:

http://pi-080/map_data/tt_123.dat

The problem I'm having is generating the http://pi-080 part of the url.
I'm sure this is available via the Apache->request mechanism or similar,
but I can't find it!  I can get the server_hostname, and the filename,
but these don't have the full url of the site.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

James