All you need is to keep a copy of each version of the wiki in CVS (or vastly
better, Subversion) and then rolling it back is trivial. I've been doing that
with every site I manage for years now, and since the wiki is just files its
no challenge at all, just have to fork out an 'svn commit -m 'some comment'
every time someone updates, then if you need to rollback you can svn revert.
Its not much different with CVS either.

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 4:00 pm, Robert Ferney wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 13:41, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 February 2004 21:37, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> > > These are real live people doing the spamming edits, not robots.
> >
> > Hm, I think it is about time to start lobbying for laws to make this
> > finable, so that it is possible to stop this early, because it has the
> > potential of destroying wikis...
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Kjetil
>
> Legislation has so far shown to be ineffective in controlling the net.
> Let's neither assume that it will be in the future, nor expect it to be.
> We have the freedom of speech here on the net in an unprecedented level.
> Let's not now expect some legislative body to now restrict that.
>
> I believe that the original WIKI has had some similar problems.
>
> One of the solutions is to implement a simple rollback so that the users
> can revert to the pre-graffiti version easily. This would include IP
> tracking for the changes, so the reversion would back up, or atleast
> have the possibility of backing up prior to all the changes made by that
> IP address.
> It is not nearly as attractive to the graffiti kiddies if their spam can
> be easily removed.
>
> Another possibility would be to have accounts as a method of signing the
> changes. This does have the controversial effect of excluding anyone who
> does not wish to make an account, or those that would prefer to remain
> anonymous. This has both pros and cons.
>
> Another possible deterrent would be to display the time and IP address
> of the last changes with the signature(s) if they were available. The
> idea here is that the script kiddies would not wish to have their
> identity or IP address known. tends to wierd them out.
>
> Robert Ferney

Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain
http://www.giantelectronicbrain.com