On mandag 2. august 2004, 17:06, Tod Harter wrote:
> In the absence of an Expires: header doesn't the ETag essentially
> tell all? If you issue a HEAD request and get back the same ETag as
> whatever is cached then you shouldn't need to refetch the resource,
> correct?

Yup, but the point is that you shouldn't issue a HEAD request. It would
have been superfluous if they just had used Expires (or Control-cache:
max-age), for what it is for.... The distinction is made a big point of
in HTTP/1.1, the second paragraph of Section 13:

   Caching would be useless if it did not significantly improve
   performance. The goal of caching in HTTP/1.1 is to eliminate the need
   to send requests in many cases, and to eliminate the need to send
   full responses in many other cases. The former reduces the number of
   network round-trips required for many operations; we use an
   "expiration" mechanism for this purpose (see section 13.2). The
   latter reduces network bandwidth requirements; we use a "validation"
   mechanism for this purpose (see section 13.3).

It isn't quite clear what slashdot means when they say that you
shouldn't access the file, but I think it means they don't want you to
throw any requests at them...

Actually, what I found was that RSS has fields for how often you should
update, and /. wants you to parse the RSS and figure that out. Now,
that's Harmful, when HTTP allready has a much better way to handle
stuff like that. Not a caching proxy in the entire world is going to
parse RSS to find out when to update, but they allready respect
Expires.

But I guess a Provider is the solution, and the Provider actually has to
parse RSS and act accordingly...

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]