Hi,

I'm currently reading Kip Hampton's book on AxKit, and it looks pretty fab.

I'd really like to be able to run this on Win32. So far, I have the following installed on a machine Win2K Pro / SP4:

ActivePerl 5.8.4.810
Apache 1.3.31
mod_perl-1 1.29_01-dev

Perl, Apache, and mod_perl all seem to be running okay. Perl is in C:\Perl and Apache is in C:\Apache. C:\Perl\bin is in my PATH.

I used PPM to install the following packages:

libapreq-1 1.2
XML-LibXML 1.58 (including XML-NamespaceSupport 1.08, XML-LibXML-Common 0.13)
XML-LibXSLT 1.57
AxKit-1 1.61 (I understand there's a 1.62, but this is the version that was on theoryx5)

I let PPM install the following DLL's, all to C:\Perl\bin (not sure of versions, whatever's on theoryx5):
libxml2
libxslt_win32
libexslt_win32

I already had iconv-1.9.1 and zlib1-1.2.1 on hand and copied these manually to C:\Perl\bin.

So far I've fixed the problem with ParserDetails.ini by creating an empty file of that name in C:\Perl\site\lib\XML\SAX. I also went back and upgraded XML-SAX.

I also had an issue with Error not being defined, which I apparently resolved by installing Error 0.15.

Now, when I try to refer to AxKit in my httpd.conf file, I get the following error:

"The procedure entry point xmlDoValidityCheckingDefaultValue could not be located in the library libxml2.dll".

And Apache says:

"Syntax error on line 1002 of c:/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Can't load 'c:/Perl/site/lib/auto/AxKit/AxKit.dll' for module AxKit: load_file:The specified procedure could not be found at c:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 230.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at c:/Perl/site/lib/AxKit.pm line 32.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 7) line 3."

The indicated line in the httpd.conf is:

PerlModule AxKit

The indicated block in DynLoader.pm ending at line 32 is:

Apache::AxKit::CharsetConv::raise_error(1);

BEGIN {
    $VERSION = "1.61";
    if ($ENV{MOD_PERL}) {
        $AxKit::ServerString = "AxKit/$VERSION";
        @AxKit::ISA = qw(DynaLoader);
        __PACKAGE__->bootstrap($VERSION);
    }
}

Line 230 of DynaLoader.pm reads:

$Error::Debug = 1 if (($AxKit::Cfg->DebugLevel() > 3) || $AxKit::Cfg->StackTrace);

General question: Has anybody actually been able to use AxKit on Win32?

Specific question: Is there a versioning issue with libxml2 that I'm not aware of, and if so, what's the right version? I found a similar question to mine in the mailing list archive from about a month ago, but it doesn't seem to have been answered.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

jon