Mark,

With this focus on colours and subtle changes in brightness, what's the plan
for accommodating users with vision impairments?

Under the outline you've given, users with even simple red-green colour
blindness would not be able to distinguish what the severity of a message
is.  With a complete lack of reliance on movement or position, some users
may have a very difficult time interpreting the various messaging idioms
being discussed here.

So what's the accessibility plan here?

Thanks,

Sohail Mirza

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <m...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 19/03/10 02:22, Dylan McCall wrote:
> > This begs the question: Why on Earth was the coloured wants-attention
> > icon dropped? Could indicator-messages differentiate the importance of
> > events and use a different icon accordingly? (For example, coloured
> > icon for actual messages, just lit up for when contacts log in).
>
> The spectrum of attention-grabbiness, if you want to think of it that
> way, is:
>
>  - outline
>  - dimmed
>  - full mono
>  - green
>  - orange
>  - red
>
> We don't flash :-)
>
> The coloured wants-attention messaging icon was nuked at my request
> because it was 3D, and our icons should be flat. I'm expecting a flat
> green version that we can test, soon. Yesterday would have been nice :-)
>
> The real question is one of taste and urgency. How urgent is a message,
> really? If it's something that we never want anyone to miss, we should
> go green. Otherwise, we could use the raise from dim to bright mono.
>
> > Further, why does the indicator-messages icon go dark (like when
> Bluetooth is turned off) just because there aren't messages? It suggests
> that there are no messaging apps running.
> >

> We should use outline-to-full to indicate that there are messaging apps
> running.
>
> Mark

sfm