Hello,

Whenever the "System" menu on the panel is opened, the user will see "About
GNOME." It's likely that many people wouldn't understand why they see it
there. If those people are thinking aloud, they would've said
*this*<http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/5342/workspace1015.png>.
As long as "GNOME" is meaningless to the person, the "About GNOME" menu item
would just be a highfaluting geeky thing.

Clicking "About GNOME" opens the gnome-about dialog, which is described on
Synaptic as

> Informative little about thing that lets us brag to our friends as our name
> scrolls by, and lets users click to load the GNOME home pages.

We can put details about the GNOME desktop on the "About Ubuntu" section,
because that's more likely to be clicked and it makes sense anyway. We can
also make it more hardworking than the gnome-about dialog in terms of
informing people about the GNOME free desktop project.

What solutions can you suggest to present information about the GNOME
desktop in a more meaningful and less obtrusive way?

--
Regards,
Allan