On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Brett Cornwall <brettcornw...@gmail.com>wrote:

 Well, all that is written in the spec is:

> "*A compliant player should also keep playing if you close its window
> while it is playing; exit if you close its window while it is not playing;
> and remember exact state across sessions, so that after exit and relaunch it
> is as if the player had never exited.*"
>
> I honestly don't see the benefit in such an action other than conserving
> RAM. But that's the purpose of swap, isn't it? If RAM were the reason for
> this behavior then it's putting more headache and CPU usage on those that
> can handle lots of programs in order to reimplement an already-existing
> functionality dedicated to those that run out of resources. I'm curious for
> an explanation as I just don't understand the motivation. Surely getting all
> these players to comply with preserving their exact state is going to take
> some time to acoomplish. Why spend all the resources on something so
> unexplained and seemingly trivial?

People turn their computers off from time to time. You cannot expect
everyone to have his/her computer running (or, at least suspended) day and
night in an endless session. As far as I'm concerned, "perfect" state saving
is the right behavior for all applications, not only for music players. I
want to be able to end my session at any time and for whatever reason I may
have, without having to expend 10 minutes trying to restore the my session
state afterwards.

Cheers,

Martín