It's too early to telephone my mother, but I'm guessing the time period was the
later part of the 1800's.  I believe it was five children who immigrated to the
USA (one being my great-grandfather, Joseph Bettencourt), and one to Lisbon
(didn't return to the Azores) and Manual Victrino Bettencourt (I believe this
was his name - the doctor) stayed.  We were fortunate to visit the family home
from the 1500's, still occupied by Manual's granddaughter in Angra during our
recent trip in June.

What time period are you talking? Entailments, the system by which an estate
passed on, undivided, to one designated heir in each successive generation,
ended in the last half of the nineteenth century. Of course anyone could still
leave all of their property to one child while disinheriting the others or
leaving them just the one single dollar. Who was the famous doctor?