Jessica,

My Victor family had a circus.  They orginally came from Italy and
mainland Portugal.  Why they settled in the Azores is a mystery.  They
performed on the trapeze and one of my great aunts said she hung from
her hair (ouch!!)  My aunt told me they also had animals (horses and
dogs).  So far, we have not been able to find anything about the
circus.  They seem to have travelled all over the Azores from ca 1870
to 1891 as they had children on several different islands.  It is my
hope that one day, someone reading the old newspapers, especially in
Terceira, will find something about them.  Some of the baptism records
list the parents as "gynastico/gynastica" so we know the family
stories are true.  How my gggrandmother performed this feat being
pregnant almost every year is a wonder in itself.  One great uncle
said he had to run through fire and burned himself.

"E"
Folsom CA