Another thing that is confusing when you start out...they write like this:

Thequ ick brown fox ju mpedov er the lazy dog.

They run words together and then put spaces where there should not be any
space.

They also have contractions that we don't (when was the last time you
thought about contractions?  When you were 10 years old?)  LOL

"of the" is da (female) or do (male)
"in this" is nesta
I think those are in the word guide.  Those are just examples.  There are
more.

"digo" is basically and "oops."  I think the literal translation is "I meant
to say."  There's some in this record.

Verbs (at least in the romance languages) put the pronoun and conjugated
verb together.  In English, we would say "I baptized" but in Portuguese it's
all one word: baptiseu (spelling?) because the ending denotes that it's
first person, past tense.

# 5 Maria

1) On the twenty day of the month of June of the
2) year of one thousand eight hundred (800 is one word in this record)
seventy and five in-
3) this church parish of Senhora dos Milagres
4) of Lagedo council of Vila das Lajes Dio-
5) cese of Angra.  I baptized solemnly
6) an individual of the sex feminine to whom
7) I gave the name ("the name" is run together) of Maria, and that she was
born in-
8) this freguesia at five hours of the afternoon of the day
9) nineteen (this is the BIRTH, the baptism was on the 1st line) of the same
month and year daughter leg-
10) timate, second of the name, of Jose Coelho Ra-
11) mos and Pulciana de Jesus DIGO (I meant to say) laborer and Puli-
12) cena de Jesus occupation of the service of her house
13) natives received (married) parishioners and living
14) in this freguesia (that's all run together) granddaughter paternal of
Jose Coelho Ra-
15) mos and Izabel Maria and maternal of Francisco
16) de Freitas Sego(?) (it's not Rego) and Roza de Sao Jose, for Godfather
17) Anto DIGO (I meant to say) Jose Maria Henriques single stu-
18) dent and Godmother Maria Jose Henriques single
19) who have the proper papers blah blah blah

OK, this time the priest wasn't as lubed and he caught all his mistakes
(digo!)

Cheri