Researching Domingos Goncalves (died before 1658) and his wife Ana
Ferreira...both, most likely, from Calheta, Sao Jorge.  Their son is Antonio
Goncalves Ferreira who married Barbara Vieira on Nov.25, 1658 in
Calheta, Sao Jorge.

Also, I have noticed that it seems that families would have a child named, say
Manuel, then perhaps that child died young and the parents would have another
child and name him Manuel also....I have noted this a few times in my
research...was this a common practice or are they mistakes?

Calvena De Avila Brasil