From: Cheri Mello <gfsche...@gmail.com>
To: Azores@googlegroups.com
Cc: bhan...@lewistravel.com
Sent: Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:38:50 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Victoria (Espirito Santa/Vila Nova - Terceira)
and Mendes (Sao Jorge(Doze Ribeiras)

Patti & Bernie,

I'm pretty sure there is no way to confuse a John with a George in any
language.  You're have to figure out if he's a John (Joao with the tilde (~)
above the "a") or a George (Jorge).

The Francisca/Francis is the same person.  It's just people spelling it
incorrectly.  Francisca is the Portuguese spelling and the English translation
would be Francis.

I'm guessing that your "Francia Souza Mendes" would be Francisco Souza Mendes
and your "Cansicas Roza Mendes" could be Conceicao Roza Mendes or Roza
Conceicao Mendes.  I'm unsure on the Cansicas misspelling.  Perhaps others have
ideas.

Since you have the freguesia (village) and the birth dates, you can write to
the archive in Angra (on Terceira) to obtain a copy of their baptism record.
Well, once you figure out if your guy is a Joao or a Jorge, that is.  The
baptisms from that time period will list the parents and grandparents of the
baby.  From there you can use the microfilm.

For a fill in the blank form and the address of the archive, go to the Azores
Genweb:
http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/genresources.html

Achada