----- Original Message -----
From: "Chocolynn" <chocol...@comcast.net>
To: "Azores Genealogy" <Azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:18 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] New-Free-Online Archival Resource: Provincetown
Advocate newspaper, 1918 et.al.

Must share this New-Free-Online Genealogy Resource opportunity to
break down brick walls in immigrant Azorean families who may have
lived in, or had business in Provincetown, MA's Portuguese immigrant
fishing industry:

Content Quoted from:
Provincetown Public Library - Advocate Live! Collections at:
http://www.ptownlib.com

Now an on-going project to re-microfilm, digitize and index the
Provincetown Library's issues of the Provincetown Advocate newspaper
and make them available on the Internet at:
http://advocate.provincetown-ma.gov

Scope: The years 1918, 1931-1934 and 1936-1967 are currently
available. Soon, all available issues published bef. 1918 will be
loaded.

*** Lynn Pritchett (chocol...@comcast.net) Personal Note:

This new free service has proved invaluable for our family already! We
had folklore that an Azorean fisherman relative based in Provincetown
was lost at sea off Florida coast, but we could find no such document
proving such a death of a male Provincetown relative...

Until I read the JANUARY 24, 1918 issue of the Provincetown Advocate:
"Manuel Caton and crew were lost at sea while fishing for snapper off
the Florida coast. He commanded and co-owned the vessels SEA FOX,
ADDISON CENTER, CARRIE PHILLIPS, & PHILOMENA MANTA. He is survived by
his wife Ida, two sons and two daughters...."

Now the 'family story' is more than just a 'story' but a real event! I
suspected all along that this gr gr grandfather, CAPT. MANUEL CATON,
(aka: CAETANO) was indeed the relative lost at sea, but until the
archive was released in this free online access project, how to prove
it?!

(Genealogists never die - We just lose our census - Ha ha ha)