HI Lufox,

Since you have the 3 vital pieces: the name of Manuel Raposo dos Santos,
that he was from Nordeste, born to Antonio Raposo dos Santos and Barbara
Leite Machado in 1840-41, you need to search the film ( # 1438017 ) for
every Manuel born to Antonio and Barbara until you find him.

Your questions:
1) Yes, the archives do hold the records from the 1840s, but they don't
search for you.  They may look for a range, but I wouldn't insist.  It may
make it worse for the rest of us.

2)  Most of us on this list are west of the Azores (somewhere in North
America), although we have other members.  Some are in the Azores, New
Zealand, and I forget where else I've seen people say where they live.

3) The only way to research for Nordeste at this time is to go to the
archives in Ponta Delgada or order the microfilm.  Someday, the Center for
Knowledge of the Azores (CCA) will put the records online.  However, they
don't publish I time line for putting the records online or in what order,
so we don't when.  Sao Jorge island is almost complete.  That island took
about 2 years to put online, I believe.

Hope this helps!
Achada