Hi Seek,

Don't feel frustrated about it.   My Paternal Grandfather, so far as I
know, initially used in the USA, the name VIEIRA, then VERA.   After
he moved from New England to California, about 1919 he briefly used
KING, and soon after he used the surname PERRY, until his death in
1968.

Researching this person has been an adventure for me and my cousin ,
to say the least!