I was playing around this morning on the Massachusetts Archives web site
to see if my grandmother was listed. She was born on 8 Dec 1898. I
narrowed my search to the last name Carvalho and the year 1898-1899. I
had three names returned. Two were from Fall River which was where my
grandmother was born.  One was listed as Mary and the other was Joao. My
grand mothers name was Maria Josephine but on her baptismal record it is
listed as Maria. So I would guess that was her even though the date was
given as 1899. (it may not have been reported until January 1899 so it
was in with the 1899 births.) Now the mystery, the volume number was
given 484, page 163. The other person born in Fall River Joao Carvalho
that came back with the search is listed as volume number 484, page 163!
It is too bad the site does not list parents now I am going to have to
go to the archives and look at both records. If my grandmother had a
twin brother I never knew it and who knows may be she did not know it. I
also suspect this Joao Carvalho may have died before he reached 2 or 3.
My great grandmother died in 1907 so perhaps no one ever said anything
about it.

Rick

Richard Francis Pimentel
Epping, New Hampshire, USA
Researching Bretanha, Ribeirinha, Ribeira Grande, Achade Grande, and
Ponta Delgada,  Sao Miguel, Acores
for, Pimentel (Costa), Carvalho, Teixeira, Rocha