Thanks JR -  I wonder if you can advise as to a rule of thumb in
dating a marriage record.   For example Jose married in 1857, in
looking for his parent's marriage, what dates would you start with?
I'm thinking that a start should be made around 1825 to 1835.
Appreciate your thoughts about that.

Also an interesting bit of information that we gleaned from a diary
written by May Andre, daughter of Manuel and Gloria.  In it she
reports that several of her ancestors on both maternal and paternal
sides had blue or green eyes, and one was reported to have red hair.
Do you think that this information could have any research
implications?  Or perhaps indicated northern or central European
roots?

The Andre name continues to be a puzzle.  Two records that we found in
the Azores called Manuel's grandfather Jose Jacintho Andre, and those
were two of Manuel and Gloria's children in reference to their
paternal ggf.   All the other kids baptismals just call him Jose
Jacintho, as does the marriage record you translated some time back
for us.  Still, we were pleased to find some reference which told us
that it was not just something they adopted upon arrival in the US.

Regards,   Marcia