Maria,

If I might chime in on the name usage. How the name gets changed is a
cultural issue. An example, one of my professors in college was named Nguyen
Uy. In Vietnam, the surname appears first, and the given name last. When he
immigrated, the authorities changed his surname from Nguyen to Uy. I¹m sure
they didn¹t realize it. I suspect the family was so happy to be here (after
the fall of Saigon) that they didn¹t fuss about it. With my grandmother. Her
father was Jose Rodrigues de Medeiros and mother was Josepha Clara Garcia.
The family¹s surname became simply Medeiros here in the states, yet if you
look at my great grandfather¹s lineage, its Rodrigues de Medeiros (for
several generations), Rodrigues de Serpa (for several generations) and
eventually just Rodrigues.

As ³they² say: It is what it is.

Gayle