In a message dated 4/23/2010 9:48:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
terr...@rogers.com writes:
> I have decided to try and turn my focus onto my mom's side of the
> family although i have very little info to go on. I am hoping that
> someone on the list can help me with info from Ribeira Cha.
> Jacinta Emilia Soares born circa 1870 in the freguesia of Ribeira Cha,
> concelho of Lagoa in Sao MIguel Azores.  She died circa 1916? in Praia
> de Agua d'Alto in Sao Miguel Azores. Her parents names were Francisco
> Soares and Rosa de Jesus. Another shot in the dark for me...but i
> thought i would try.

Have you asked the Archives in Ponta Delgada to see if they can find the
birth/baptismal records? If your information is close to accurate, i.e., the
dates are within a two year margin on either side, if the names of the
parents are very close to accurate and the places of birth are absolutely
accurate, then you stand a very good chance that they will find it for you and
mail
you a photocopy of the original record. A birth or baptismal record from
that time period (there would be a birth recorded by the Registo Civil and a
baptismal record from the church) should contain the names of all four
grandparents. Because the record is more than a century old it is stored at the
Public Library and Archives in Ponta Delgada.

If you do send for a copy, just ask for a simple photocopy. There is no
need to pay all kinds of extra costs for verified, certified, sealed copies
unless you need an official birth/death certificate for legal purposes. Good
luck!

John Miranda Raposo