From: azores@googlegroups.com on behalf of celeste perry
Sent: Wed 6/30/2010 12:05 PM
To: Azores list
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Sometimes you get lucky

I have just experienced every genealogist's wildest dream. I met Mary last
Saturday while going on a "walk" in Hayward, CA that focused on the Portuguese
that lived here during the 1800-early 1900's.
Of course, one comment led to another and she told me she would like to find
information about her paternal grandfather. She told me his name, Joseph
Rodrigues Costa and said she thought he was born in Pico. His wife's name was
Lucy Maciel.
I had to leave the walk early and did not speak to her again. On Monday, I
tracked her down and we spent a little time (she was at work) trying to find
her grandfather on the Pico website. No luck.
Since Mary was very new to research, Tuesday, I stopped by and gave her the
outline for a time-line that I use when gathering information about someone. I
asked Mary if it was possible that her grandfather had been a member of one of
the Portuguese Fraternal societies. She responded, "like the UPPEC?" I
explained that the UPPEC was originally for women so he would not have been a
member of that organization/lodge.
When I arrived home, I thought about the possibility that not Joseph but Lucy
may have been a member of the UPPEC. I looked her up in the death records and
BINGO, not only was she there, (of course born in "Portugal,") however, her
parents names were listed and also her date of birth.
I took the chance that Lucy may have been born on the island of Pico. Back to
the Pico website: Not only did I find her and 8 generations of her mother's
ancestors; 7 generations of her father's ancestors AND her husband, (they were
married in Pico) Jose Rodrigues da Costa's 7 generations of ancestors.
The point of all of this is that sometimes, the planets are all lined up; the
moon is in the right place, and you just get so lucky it gives you the courage
to keep looking when you hit brick walls.
Celeste, Hayward, CA

Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com