Frank,

The Franklin District that is mentioned in the obit is also near the Buhach
Colony.  It is on the border of Merced and Atwater near where eventually Castle
AFB would be built, and both cities are mentioned throughout the obit.  The
Catholic Church that the Portuguese in the area attended and used to hold
festas, was the Buhach Immaculate Conception Church (land donated by Azoreans
Frank F Souza and Jose F Freitas from Faja Grande).  This is a fairly small
rural area of Merced, so our Portuguese relatives probably knew each other.
The Franklin School (now Franklin Elementary) holds reunions for those who
attended this rural school.  Many of them are Azorean Portuguese, but there
were also Italians in the Franklin District.  If you Google Map Merced, CA you
will notice that Highway 99 cuts through the southern part of the city.
Franklin and Buhach Roads (off ramps) intersect Highway 99 to the west of the
city.

My best friend still lives in the Merced area and in-between the Franklin
District/Buhach Colony area, now annexed into the Atwater zip codes.  Merced is
still a fairly small town where many know everybody's business.  I'll see if
she knows anyone with a Gervasio last name.  It is not a common Portuguese name
I remember from growing up in Merced.  I remember lots of Pimental, Borba,
Souza, Rodrigues, and Freitas families.

There is also another resource to check into www.mercedgenealogy.com.

I did go into the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census records of the Franklin District
(California Merced Township 2 District 148) on ancestry.com.  There were two
Gervasis families and one (John Gervasis age 48 in 1920) was from Italy.  I
found out a bit more information on ancestry.com through birth, death, travel
and military records.

Hope that some of this helps your researching!

I did find your Gervasis relatives on Page 8 of the 1920 census records, along
with other listings on ancestry.com.
Jessie R Gervasio * Head of Household * Born 1861 Azores, Portugal * Died 24
Feb 1935 * Buried Evergreen Cemetery * Arrived USA 1880 * Naturalized 1889 *
Married 3 years on 1910 census * Marriage #2 * Own Farm Free of Mortgage

Maria Vieira Gervasio * Wife * Born 1888 Azores, Portugal * Died 24 Feb 1935
Merced, Merced, CA * Married 3 years on 1910 census * Marriage #1 * 2 Children
Born / 2 Children Living

Jose Rodrigues (Joseph) Gervasio * Son * Born 03 Aug 1907 * Died 28 Sept 1994 ,
Stanislaus, CA (SSA records Merced, Merced, CA) * Mother: Gervasis * Married
Ruth F Whitney (born 1918) on 07 Oct 1965 in Shasta or Santa Claus Counties

Jessie Gervasis Gunn * Born 01 Nov 1908 California * Died 10 Oct 1934 Merced,
Merced, CA * Married to a Gunn about 1925-1934

Others Listed on ancestry.com
Beatrice Vieira Gervasio * Born 15 Jun 1897/98 Portugal * 15 Mar 1989 Merced,
Merced, CA (SSA records Studio City, Los Angeles, CA...often a child's mailing
address) * Immigrated 1914 * Naturalized

Jacento Rodrigues Gervasio Jr * Born 25 Feb 1893 Farenzena, Flores, Azores,
Portugal * Died 16 Mar 1986 Atwater, Merced, CA * Immigrated 1911 * Naturalized

Mary Vieira Gervasio * Born 22 Aug 1887 * Died 14 May 1943 Merced, Merced, CA *
Mother:  Sereneiro * Father: Vieira * Arrival 1907

Ferdinand Anthony Gervasio * Born 15 Feb 1918 Merced, CA * Died Aug 1986 Studio
City, Los Angeles, CA * Mother:  Vieira * Single 20 Sept 1941 WWII Enlistment *

Evelynn Therese Ramos Gervasio * Born 15 Jun 1920 CA * Died 23 Sept 1997 Studio
City, Los Angeles, CA * Mother: Corvello * Father: Ramos * Married Ferdinand
Anthony Gervasio?

Elsie G Gervasio * Born 04 Dec 1924 Merced, Merced, CA * Mother: Vieira

Maria Vieira * Born abt 1893 Azores * Listed as sister-in-law of Jesse R
Gervasis on 1910 census.

Jacob R Gervasio * Born ? Azores * 1935 per obituary lives in Merced, Merced, CA

Mary Gervasio Gomez * Born ? Azores * 1935 per obituary lives in the Azores,
Portugal

Debbie Wolgemuth
Riverside, California
Researching Azoreans:  Jorge (Flores), Freitas (Flores), Enos (San Miguel),
Silveira Matos (Faial), Rodrigues (unknown)
Immigrated to:  Merced, CA