Hi,

Yes it is possible especially after the French invasion in 1807.  The
Portuguese progression up the chart are 1st Homo Sapiens in the North,
Iberians in the South (believed to be peoples from North Aftrica), Celtic,
Roman, Germanic, Morish.  And  then,  after the age of Discovery (Infant Don
Henrique, the Navigator), 60 years of Spanish Dominion, followed by the
French invasion :

"France and Spain  signed the Treaty of Fountainebleau, which gave Napoleon
the right to invade Portugal through Spain. They agreed that after the
invasion, Portugal would be divided between France and Spain. The French
occupied the country in 1807, and the Portuguese royal family fled to
Brazil. About 50,000 French and Spanish troops roved the countryside
arresting, killing, plundering and raping as they pleased. In 1808 Portugal
got help from the British, their oldest allies."

If you would like to know more about Portugal and its peoples, please click
on the link below.

http://www.golisbon.com/culture/history.html

<http://www.golisbon.com/culture/history.html>Best,

Margaret Vicente

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM, <emac...@aol.com> wrote:

> Could it still be possible that people who settled in that area near Lisbon
> could have been from France? I know that Portugal was settlers from all
> different countries when it became established.
>

>  I don't think the  French settled in Vila Franca Xira..  A  grant of land
> about 1147 near Lisbon was given to Guilherme Shire of England, a crusader.
> His name became Xira, a Portuguese corruption of Shire.  He gave it the name
> Vila Franca de Xira.  He had been  one of the crusaders on his way to the
> Holy Land for the second crusade.  The ship made a stop in Lisbon, and never
> left. King Afonso Henriques, with the help of those crusaders, English,
> French, and Germans,. drove the Moors from Lisbon in 1147.  The King,
> grateful for this help, gave land to the crusaders who wished to remain in
> Portugal.
>
> Today Vila Franca de Xira is a large city on the Tagus river.   So as the
> story goes, is is possible that one of Guilherme's descendants, Goncalo Vaz
> Botelho, founded Vila Franca on Sao Miguel, the first capitol of that
> island.  Vila Franca was destroyed by a terrible earthquake and flood of
> water and mud in 1522   And as a result,  Ponta Delgada became the capitol
> of Sao Miguel.
>
>  .

Margaret M Vicente