Since the Google Groups doesn't allow a Files section anymore, I can't point
people there for help.  So I guess when these questions come up or I get a
request, I'll just run these mini lessons.  And I'm not doing it all at
once.  Experience has taught me that people don't like long emails.

Reading Portuguese Vital Records
Overview:
Words may run together or be spaced apart.  Hyphens are not always used.
Try this English sentence:
The qu ickbr own fox jum pedover the laz ydogs.

OK, it won't be that bad in Portuguese, but you'll if you can't find the
word, start thinking about the letters before or after as part of the word.
Or taking off a couple of letters to find the word.

Collect all the siblings of your ancestor.  It will help you learn the
handwriting.

To learn the dates and months and years, go here:
http://goo.gl/NkGw9

Achada