From: Margaret Vicente <margaretvice...@gmail.com>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thu, May 26, 2011 7:50:39 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: translation from Portuguese to English

Hi,

For the sake of Potuguese and Azorean culture it may be of interest to note
that
it is a term that may have been used "inside" the home but the tone is on the
sarcastic side...it is rude to say so to guests or someone who may be offered
something to eat and they decline.

In large families where food was scarce the term was used as if to say if you
don't or won't eat your portion someone else will...and that was used to entice
the person/child to eat otherwise there would be no more later.

Best,

Margaret