From: gfsche...@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:38:10 -0700
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Azores Travel--Practical Advice
To: azores@googlegroups.com

Repost Steve Peters, spp1680 at gmail.com

Hi Nancy,

I've been looking into this too, as I head off to Faial & Pico on June
22. It really is worth going in and talking to someone at your bank to
figure out how they handle all this stuff, as each bank is different.
A couple of other things I've found out:

My bank charges 3% on all foreign ATM withdrawals using my debt card,
along with the usual fee for using an out-of-network ATM. If I use my
credit card, they charge the same 3% (and ATM fee if I use one) +
another 3% for a "cash advance". Any credit card purchase made at a
store or restaurant or whatever is also considered a cash advance and
carries this extra 3% fee. So it makes the most sense to use the debit
card, and to take out large amounts each time to minimize the number
of withdrawals/fees. Save the credit card only for times when you
absolutely need it, like renting a car.

But: I can order Euros through my bank at no charge with a week or so
lead time. So I plan to take a bunch of Euros with me and then only
use my debit card at ATMs if I run out. I won't even bother with
traveler's checks.

I assume when you make a debit withdrawal from an ATM that they charge
you the lowest exchange rate available on that day, but as someone
else said, the day they run the charge may be later than when you make
the withdrawal, so this may not be entirely accurate.

Have a great trip!