Hey John (V & F) and everyone else

The coincidences just keep piling up!  I attended high school with two
of Henry Miller's descendants (family hailed from Gustine), and even
college with one.  Their mom (married into the Miller clan)
coincidentally attended Oakland's legendary University HS with my dad,
so probably knew he was of Portuguese descent (even though I didn't!).

More relevantly to this forum, when I was quite little my mother told
me a story about a sailor who transited the Cape and sailed up to
Alaska in the 1800s -- I wasn't sure who back then, but now realize it
must've been my great-grandfather Noronha, who'd regaled his
grandchildren (including my dad) with tales of his seafaring
adventures.  Just like your family's story, the protagonist was on a
"ship [that] went around the horn and up into Alaskan waters in search
of whale. They apparently were caught in in the ' big freeze' of the
early 1870's when many whaling ships were caught in the freezing
ice."  I've seen a book re Alaska whaling that recounts this freeze of
1871 -- will see if I can locate the WorldCat listing for it, so you
or anyone else interested can check it out (perhaps via Inter Library
Loan).

While there's no way of knowing how much my great-grandfather might
have embellished his stories for his grandchildren's consumption, my
mother -- who never knew him, so was repeating only what she'd been
told by my dad and/or his other relatives -- said that he further
claimed his ship was iced in all winter with nothing but weevil-y
hardtack in their stores for the men to eat.

She also said he claimed to have made ship's captain at the tender age
of 21 (have never found evidence of this yet, which of course proves
nothing one way or the other), owing to his linguistic proficiency in
7 languages, including Russian and Chinese (curiously, however,
Portuguese was never mentioned (LOL!)) -- although even in old age my
dad and his sister could, between the two of them, count to 10
correctly in Chinese! -- and that at least once the man risked his
life by insisting all his crew evacuate a sinking ship safely first
before he'd leave.  Re Cape Horn, she said that he related having had
to climb a mast during a fierce storm there, and that other men fell
to their deaths that way there.

More later.  Katharine.