Carmen,

You searched for him how?

If you went down the list of names looking for Ernesto, did you ignore names
like Ernesto Furtado da Costa?  Or Ernesto da Costa Furtado?  Don't ignore
it if was compounded.

Are you pretty comfortable reading the records? If not, did you ignore the
names you can't read?  If the shape of the word vaguely looks like Exxxxlx
FxxLxxx with a couple of taller letters in there, then make a note of it and
have someone double check you.

Lastly, I'd repeat the search again.  If you looked via the names, look this
time via the council.  Every time you see someone from the council of
Ribeira Grande (or Ra. Grande), stop and look at every one of them,
regardless of their age or marital status.

If you don't find him that way, you could go back further in time, or you
could go research the brother that he went to live with (although the name
Ernesto is a bit easier to deal with than Jose).

Achada