From: beso...@succeed.net
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Help with planning a trip to Lisbon and
Azores
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:39:56 -0800

Hello Vivian,

Maybe someone else can chime in here on the ferry trip from Pico to Sao Jorge
and the amount of time it takes to get back and forth, etc.  Originally we were
going to do the same from Terceira to Sao Jorge and it would have taken hours
for the ferry trip.  Hours that we wanted to spend on the island not on a
ferry, so we chose the 20-30 minute flight instead.  You may end up having to
spend the night in Pico and returning the next day depending on if there’s only
one ferry trip or flight to Sao Jorge and back.  There may not even be daily
ferry trips, it could be every two or three days or weekly.  Keep in mind, you
may not be able to pre-plan the flight or ferry ride until you arrive in Pico
or Sao Jorge depending on which island you arrive at first.

Personally, I’d recommend not going to Lisbon on this trip and take advantage
of your time in the Azores (since you’re talking one day in Lisbon).  For the
money it will cost you and when you might arrive, you may only get a few hours,
if any, before your next flight out to the Azores.  Vivian, “time” in the way
of life in the Azores is much different than here – slower pace….or like, “Oh
well, if it doesn’t’ happen today, it can happen tomorrow.”  Not that it’s a
bad thing. J  Spending time flying from Lisbon to Pico, etc. might be better
spent 7 days divided between Pico and Sao Jorge – the money you’d spend on
flights from Lisbon to Pico can be used flying between Pico and Sao Jorge (much
less actually – I think we spent $100 round-trip).  This would allow you maybe
5 days in Pico and 2 in Sao Jorge.   We spent two weeks between two islands
(Terceira & Sao Jorge) and were busy the entire time!  Sure I would have loved
to visit other islands that I too had family from, but we didn’t want to
overdue our trip and not have some relaxation and time to enjoy the islands and
people.

Here’s my recommendation for where to stay in Sao Jorge:  Quinta de Sao Pedro

Sonia and her family own the Quinta.  Sonia’s sister, Joanna I believe is her
name, operates the Quinta when Sonia is back working in Lisbon.  Quinta de Sao
Pedro is what I would call a Bed and Breakfast.  We stayed in the room called,
Casa Ma and it faced the ocean – what a beautiful way to start your morning
looking out at the ocean from your bed.  A delicious breakfast is included and
you have your choice of sitting indoors or out on the balcony for your meal.
As you can see from Trip Advisor Qunita de Sao Pedro is #1 on their site.
Here’s the link to their site:  Quinta de Sao Pedro.

Depending on where you’re wanting to visit in Sao Jorge, I have the name and
address of a lady who has ALL THE VILLAGE RECORDS transcribed before they were
taken to the mainland.  In addition, she’s adding to the records as we,
descendants of Sao Jorge families, are coming back to the island, she’s
updating where our relatives went after leaving Sao Jorge and who we are that
have come to visit.  A treasured task I must say!   She even told me of my
family buried in the cemetery next door to her home and the family home our
family owned many years ago (that my former boyfriend’s family (we dated 22
years ago) now owns….can you believe this?  She happens to be related to his
family who live in Modesto, California.  All I can say is it’s truly a small
world!)

You don’t need a travel agent.  You can schedule your flights direct through
SATA.

This site indicates travel to Pico is WEEKLY from Lisbon whereas some of the
other islands are daily.  At the Fly TAP link via this site, flights are from
Lisbon to Pico once per week Saturday’s only at $340 but on the SATA site it
appears daily starting at $255 BUT the BAD news is, none are direct flights.
The shortest is 5 hours and 40 minutes with two stops prior to Pico, so
basically your probably looking the same as TAP with one per week since some of
the flights say so many hours and one day!

Here’s the international # to call SATA (+351) 296 209 720
Or email to:  contac...@sata.pt

Personally, I’d call using SKYPE.  It’s less expensive calling with SKYPE for
international calls or using a calling card.  Definitely, not using your cell
phone (this will become extremely pricy!).  I telephoned the islands frequently
making arrangements and such, though most are reachable via email too.

Right now, I can imagine what you’re think and feeling...since I was in your
same situation.  When we went, I handled all the arrangements for our entire
family and it’s nothing compared to how we make arrangements here at least
that’s how I look at it.  Now, that I’ve done it and what I’ve learned, I happy
to pass the information along.  Seriously, with a one week stay, I would visit
two islands and enjoy your trip.  Don’t rush it.  The islands are beautiful and
so are the people.  It will go by quickly!

Enjoy,
Robin Borba Besotes