How do you arrive at the conclusion that Silva Sampaio is Jose's
father's surname rather than his mother's? Portuguese custom of that
era permitted a person to use a surname of choice. Records are replete
with individuals who selected surnames of mothers, fathers,
grandparents, or distant relatives, as long as they could establish a
line of descendency. The surname more often than not centered on
whether it would carry with it title, property, wealth, or, social
status.