John:  When and where did Agostinho get married???  AND who did he marry??

Shirley in CA
----- Original Message ----- From: "JR" <jro...@rogers.com>
To: "Azores Genealogy" <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 3:40 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Re: Linhares Family

There was actually two Linhares branches on Sao Miguel and both came
from the same source. And that is from Manuel de Linhares who married
Maria Martins in PD in 17 Sep 1723, and who came from Santo Antonio,
Porto Judeau, Terceira, and settled in Ponta Delgada. It is likely
they were fisher folk and certainly that is what they were mostly in
Ribeira Quente. Shirley has both lines and she is a very good
researcher. One line stayed in Ponta Delgada, but it is not clear that
they carried forward the Linhares name, because this is a rare name on
Sao Miguel and when I was researching Ponta Delgada, that name never
came up again. The second line went to Ribeira Quente and it is quite
large involving and intermarrying with most of  the families in this
village and from Ponta Garca.

I have an ancestor that came from Ponta Delgada and that is how I
found the marriage of Agostinho. I couldn't bare to go by a name that
was linked to Ponta Garca or Ribeira Quente. Genealogy pack Rat!

But as many from Ribeira Quente were "maritinos", they sometimes
travelled and married people from other villages. Most returned to
Ribeira Quente. As we approach the late 1800's, about 1875 forward,
people begin to disappear, likely emmigrating to the USA and Brazil or
settling in other villages. I think if the film records from about
1884 to 1910 were made available, this would bare out my suspicions,
which many of us reseachers of Sao Miguel know only too well. The mass
migration of Azoreans to the USA and Brazil is well documented.

If I find my hand written notes again, the marriage record of that
time would show the grooms age. It is unfortunate that you cannot go
back further with Agostinho's spouse unless you find a record which
discloses the parents of Isabel da Conceicao.

Good Luck.

John Roias

On Jan 9, 9:52 pm, "gomes.ances...@gmail.com"