Thanks to all that have been helpful and willing to share information.
I am not sure exactly which discussion group this should post at. My
question was somewhat two fold. Is it difficult to trace roots back to
main Portugal? Did the majority of immigrants go to Azores at a
certain time?

Second we have had our paternal line DNA tested and it is J2-M172.
This is at FTDNA. I belong to several projects there and have
communicated with a few. Plus had posted questions on a couple of
forums. Im confused as I get different opinions.Although from FTDNA
folks I seem to get the same thought. Definitely Semitic and only two
choices Sephardic or possibly Moor. In regards to Moor, not so much
though   Our family origin officically states Portugal. Our family
names appear on lists that show Sephardic origin but I am aware that
Christian surnames could be the same. On one distant match there was a
notation in the comments "Sephardi" I am told the Sephardi data base
is somewhat small so difficult to match. As many, I guess, I just came
across this while reading information on Portuguese history. I was
directed to several sites that contain these lists of names.
If we trace our history back far enough what would we look for?  I did
find a Texeira on an Inquisition list I do beleive. I was told with
our DNA results there just are not many choices. Probably two, as
mentioned. I do know that the Muslims were also included in the
Inquisition.

Thanks,

Larry