To all,

Talked to my mom about the name issue. She said that Ava Arminda said they
changed their names on purpose. This may not be for every family, but this is
what she was told. They were really poor in the Azores, so when they came to
America they felt rich and they wanted rich names so they changed their names
to be wealthy Americans. They were so very proud to be called Americans. They
kept their heritage but the names were changed.  When they went home to visit,
the family in the village expected them to have a festa. The visitor showed
their wealth by paying for the festa. We have pictures of an aunt paying for
her festa. The celebration was a large one.
This is a family story of what was expected. It may not have been that way with
all families but it might explain some of the name issues.
I do not understand it, but I don't know all the issues associated with it
either.
Hope this helps

Robin