From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Duane De Mello
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:27 PM
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Looking for Jewish roots

Lou:

>From my experience to date, researching the Sephardic Jewish side is
difficult, to say the least.  Up until somewhere around 1492 to 1497, when
the Spanish Monarchy forced Jews to convert to Christianity, our ancestors
in the Azores were probably practicing the Jewish faith.  In my genealogy
pursuits so far, I am unable to take my ancestors back that far yet.

If your Pereira ancestors were in the Porto Formoso area, they were very
close to where my family was at, in the Ribeira Grande area.  The only ones
I can say I remember were those who came to the Bay Area from Hilo, on the
Big Island.  Joseph, Manuel, Billy, Maria, Serafina, etc, were born around
the time of my father, in 1900, and immigrated to the Bay Area during
1903-05, settling basically in Oakland and San Leandro.  They were active in
the baking and steel working industries.  By the time I came along, in 1939,
all that I can remember of their parents, is that they were old, and were
born in the Azores anywhere between 1848 and 1875.  Our families were close
and were frequently together on the weekends for various celebrations.  That
is when I can remember the Pereira, Pacheco and Silva families and my own,
the de Mello's and the dos Reis'

Cheers, Duane

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Lou Henderson <lou_hender...@lycos.com>