It seems to me we have females have lost another battle to be identified as
female!  Just my take on this naming tradition.  Celeste

Celeste Perry ccgran...@yahoo.com

________________________________
 From: Karlushko <bremen...@yahoo.com.br>
To: "azores@googlegroups.com" <azores@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] Jewish names

Fortunato is a surname. Portuguese people used gender on surnames long ago,
think that
doesnt happen today. Ex: Coelho, Coelha; Machado, Machada. You will notice that
today records are without gender: Coelho, Machado, Gato, etc..
Fortunata is feminine for FORTUNATO. Today records are shown as FORTUNATO

Karlushko - Itajai/SC/Brasil - New York/USA
Pesquisando:
Alemanha, Belgica, Brasil, Luxemburgo, Italia, Portugal, Açores, Espanha
Agueda, Aguiar, André, Antunes, Arruda, Baptista, Beirao, Brasil, Bulcão,
Cardoso, Correia, Costa, Dias, Dutra, Faria, Fernandes, Ferreira, Figueiro,
Gaspar, Gato, Gomes
 Gonçalves, Guedes, Jorge, Leal, Lemos, Macedo, Machado, Marques, Martins,
Matos, Mello, Miranda, Moreira, Nascimento, Netto, Nogueira, Nunes, Oliveira,
Pereira, Ponte, Quadrado, Rebello, Rodrigues, Santos, Silva, Silveira, Simão,
Sodré, Souza, Vieira, Zabuya, Fiorenzano, Bertemes, Reinert, Ottekier, Van der
Gocht, de Pres, Hesse, Laux, Schumer, Jungklaus.