Have you (or anyone else here) considered enrolling in a beginning
Portuguese course in your area, perhaps for the fall semester?  After
a year of procrastinating out of sheer terror (especially because I
was middle-aged and hadn't been in school for nearly 30 years), I
signed up 12 years ago -- and now I'm SO GLAD I did!!!

Many of the questions raised here (e.g., dates, numbers, family
relationship terminology, plurals and other simple grammar, etc.) are
basics that are covered in the first term, in case you don't feel you
can commit to a longer period of study.  Even if, like me, all that's
available in your area is a Brazilian Portuguese course, it's still
worth taking -- although it can be a bit of a challenge trying to
understand the European pronunciation afterwards (although Azoreans
have no trouble understanding me!).

Go ahead, take the leap!  You'll be so glad you did.  Katharine.